Different people show stress and strain in different ways. You may notice the physical symptoms of stress before you recognise your emotional feelings about a situation. Some common signs of stress or strain may include:
- Physical symptoms such as headaches, muscle aches/tension, weight loss or gain
- Feeling angry or aggressive
- Increased nervousness, agitation, restlessness or fidgeting
- Changes to behaviour such as increased use of alcohol or drugs or increased gambling.
- Withdrawing from friends and family, becoming distant
- Feeling helpless or out of control
- Losing interest in activities that you usually enjoy
- Feeling hopeless, guilty or like a ‘failure’ or burden to others• Thoughts of harming yourself or others
- Thoughts of harming yourself or others
- Thoughts of suicide
If you, or someone you care for is in need of support, please call Lifeline to speak to a trained Crisis Supporter on 13 11 14 (24 hours / 7 days) or text Lifeline on 0477 13 11 14 (12pm – 6am AEDT). We are here to listen.