There are some common signs which indicate that loneliness and isolation are affecting us in a negative way:
- Tiredness, low energy and/or lack of motivation
- Low mood – feeling sad, worthless or hopeless
- Physical reactions such as headaches, muscle tension, upset stomach, or worsening medical conditions
- Sleep problems – difficulty falling asleep, staying asleep or sleeping too much
- Change in appetite, sudden weight loss or gain
- Increased alcohol consumption, smoking or use of medications/drugs
- Thoughts of suicide.