The following are some of the emotions you may experience while grieving. You will not necessarily experience all of these emotions and you may find that you experience waves of
emotion that come and go at various times. The first few days following the death of a loved one will be particularly intense.
Common emotional responses:
- emptiness or feeling numb and devoid of emotion
- disbelief that the person has died
- intense sorrow and sadness
- yearning or longing for the deceased
- anger at ourselves or others including the person who died
- guilt or shame
- loneliness and isolation
- feeling that life is meaningless without the deceased
- overwhelmed at having to cope
- anxiety about the future
- moments of happiness.